A useful jar of Tomato Puree is tremendous useful when making any tomato based mostly dish. Right here, I present you learn how to blanch the tomatoes after which puree them.
Make this tremendous pleasant selfmade tomato puree and refrigerate or freeze it.
It is extremely simple to make selfmade tomato puree. All you want are some contemporary tomatoes. In truth you should utilize any kind of tomatoes however make certain they’re ripe.
Relying on the kind of tomatoes, the consistency of the puree might be skinny or thick. I exploit ripe, crimson and pulpy tomatoes which yield a thick puree.
Tomato Puree Shelf Life
This tomato puree is made with none preservatives. So the shelf life is about 12 to 15 days within the fridge and three to Four months within the freezer.
So you probably have bulk of tomatoes and don’t know what to do, then puree them and freeze in ice-trays. Add the frozen tomato puree cubes in any dish the place tomatoes are a necessary ingredient – pasta, sauces and rather more.
I not often make tomato puree as in India we now have a 12 months spherical provide of tomatoes. There have been only a few events when I’ve made tomato puree.
Nevertheless the state of affairs that we’re at the moment in – is definitely making me do issues which I’ve by no means performed earlier – instance, freezing greens, herbs and even fruits and plenty of extra.
Learn how to make Tomato Puree
1. Firstly rinse the tomatoes very nicely. I’ve used 1 kg of tomatoes. You’ll be able to even make the puree with 250 grams or 500 grams of tomatoes. Utilizing a paring knife or a small knife make a ½ inch criss-cross lower on the bottom of the tomatoes (not on the stalk facet).
2. Now take a big pan and warmth water in it. The water needs to be sufficient for the tomatoes to be immersed. I used 2 litre water for 1 kg of tomatoes. Be sure that the tomatoes have area to maneuver and are usually not over crowded within the pan.
3. Add salt. I’ve added 2 teaspoons of salt. You’ll be able to simply halve or double the salt relying on the quantity of tomatoes you’re utilizing.
4. Let the water come to a rolling boil on a excessive flame.
Blanching & Pureeing Tomatoes
5. Gently place the tomatoes within the sizzling water. Prepare dinner the tomatoes within the sizzling boiling water for two minutes.
6. Then swap off the flame and let the tomatoes be immersed within the sizzling water for 10 to 15 minutes. Cowl the pan. I don’t shock the tomatoes in chilly water, however if you would like you are able to do that. Boil the tomatoes for two minutes in sizzling boiling water after which place them in chilly water for two minutes.
7. Utilizing a colander or strainer pressure the tomatoes. Allow them to grow to be heat or cool fully at room temperature.
8. As soon as the tomatoes are at room temperature, on a clear chopping board with clear fingers, peel the skins and discard them.
9. Slice the attention half on the stalk a part of the tomato and discard.
10. Utilizing a clear chopping board and clear knife and with clear fingers, chop the tomatoes roughly. In case you have a strong blender you’ll be able to simply throw in complete tomatoes in it. No want to cut them.
11. Add the chopped tomatoes in a blender jar or grinder jar.
12. Purée until clean.
13. Place a bowl or pan beneath a juice strainer. Add the tomato pulp within the strainer.
14. Whereas straining, stir with a spoon and press the pulp whereas stirring so that each one the purée and pulp is strained leaving solely the seeds within the strainer.
15. You will notice a stunning crimson tomato puree collected within the bowl.
Storing Tomato Puree
16. Pour selfmade tomato puree in a sterilized glass jar. To sterilize the jar, you’ll be able to boil the jar and lid in sizzling boiling water for five minutes or rinse the jar and lid with sizzling water.
17. You’ll be able to even pour in ice cubes trays. If you’d like you possibly can cowl the tray loosely with a parchment paper or foil earlier than freezing. As soon as they’re frozen, take away them and maintain in an air-tight field or a sealed zip-lock bag within the freezer. Simply pop within the cubes in any dish.
18. Add this selfmade tomato puree in any dish the place tomatoes are necessary or the place you need to deliver some tangy taste within the meals. For canned tomato puree – pour the tomato puree in a sterilized canning jars. Seal the jars and boil them in sizzling water for 15 to 20 minutes. Take away and allow them to cool. Later refrigerate.
Recipes with Tomato Puree
Brighten up your recipes by including Tomato puree in them. I’m sharing some recipes from the weblog the place tomato is among the foremost substances. You’ll be able to simply exchange chopped tomatoes with tomato puree.
Useful Tip: Change 1 medium sized tomato with ½ cup tomato puree.
- Arrabiatta Pasta
- Purple Sauce Pasta
- Selfmade Pizza Sauce
- Margherita Pizza
- Vegetable Pizza
- Tomato Rice
- Tomato Chutney
- Tomato Curry
- Tomato Dal
- Tomato Soup
- Cream of Tomato Soup
- Carrot & Tomato Soup
Tomato Puree (Selfmade & With out Preservatives)
Thick and pulpy Tomato Puree created from scratch. The recipe additionally reveals learn how to blanch tomatoes.
(1 CUP = 250 ML)
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 litres water
Rinse the tomatoes very nicely. Give a ½ inch criss cross slit on the bottom of the tomatoes (not on the stalk facet)
Deliver water and salt to a rolling boil on excessive flame.
Add the tomatoes.
Proceed to cook dinner on the identical excessive flame for two minutes. After 2 minutes swap off the flame and let the tomatoes be immersed within the water for 10 to 15 minutes. When resting the tomatoes within the sizzling water, cowl the pan with a lid.
Later utilizing a colander pressure the tomatoes.
Allow them to cool at room temperature.
Take away the peels and discard them. Slice the attention half on the stalk and discard.
Chop the tomatoes roughly.
Add the chopped tomatoes in a blender or grinder and puree them until clean. Don’t add any water whereas mixing.
Pressure the tomato puree via a juice strainer.
Stir and press the pulp with a spoon so that each one the purée and pulp is strained leaving solely the seeds.
Storing Tomato Puree
Pour in a sterilized glass jar and refrigerate.
You’ll be able to even pour in ice cubes trays. Cowl the tray loosely with a parchment paper or foil.
Freeze and use later. Simply pop within the cubes in any dish that want tomato puree or tomatoes.
This selfmade tomato puree stays good for 12 to 15 days within the fridge and a pair of to three months within the freezer.
- Sort of tomatoes: You need to use any number of tomatoes to make the puree. The consistency of the selfmade puree might be skinny or thick relying on the kind of tomatoes added. However ensure that the tomatoes are ripe.
- Tangy & Bitter Tomatoes: If the tomatoes are too tangy, then add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar whereas mixing.
- Freezing: For a long run storage, freeze the puree in ice cubes tray. When they’re frozen, take away them and place in a metal container or field or ziplock baggage. Seal the container or field tightly.
- Cleanliness: Do ensure that the chopping board, knife, juice strainer, bowl and your fingers are clear.
- Sterilizing Jar: To sterilize the jar, you’ll be able to boil the jar and lid in sizzling boiling water for five minutes or rinse the jar and lid with sizzling water.
- Canning: Add the tomato puree in a sterilized canning jars. Seal the jars and boil them in sizzling water for 15 to 20 minutes. Take away and allow them to cool. Later refrigerate.
- Substituting Tomatoes with Tomato Puree: Change 1 medium sized tomato with ½ cup tomato puree.
Tomato Puree (Selfmade & With out Preservatives)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 180 Energy from Fats 18
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Vitamin A 8330IU167%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 6mg30%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 137mg166%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Okay 79µg75%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 150µg38%
* % Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.